Monday, March 29, 2010

I Quit My Job Today

12 Years. I'm done.

I'm giving up Powerpoint Presentations for Poopy Diapers and Excel Spreadsheets for wiping stuffy noses. I can't imagine anything better!

Jason's been urging me for weeks to write a blog post for my last day and I wasn't really sure what to say. I mean, what do you say about 12 years at a company? I've gone from just out of college to married with kids, all while at Dell. So, I'll give you just a few highlights and interesting facts about my tenure at Dell:
  • At last count, I've had 47 Managers at Dell. I doubt if I could remember all of their names.
  • I've had cubes in 9 different buildings at Dell.
  • I have mad Powerpoint and Excel Skills. I wonder if I'll need to use Pivot tables in my new job job as a stay at home mom.
  • I Moved to Nashville for 4 Years to start Dell's Nashville Facility. Moving to Nashville and back (that was for you Michael & Amy) was one of the best experiences as I learned a new city and met new people.
  • Spent 3 Weeks in Buenos Aires, Argentina.....it was great, I could have stayed longer!
  • Spent 6 Weeks in Roseburg, Oregon - 2 days would have been plenty! ;)
  • I spent 3 months in Panama. You don't know humidity until you live on the Panama Canal. I also got one of the worst sunburns of my life in an afternoon spent so close to the equator!
  • This past year, I traveled to Vancouver and Toronto. Both great places! Jason joined me in Toronto and we visited Niagara Falls while we were there.
  • I've managed 4 people and I've managed 45 while at Dell. I doubt either will have prepared me to manage two toddlers!
  • I've met great friends! I won't list them all here for fear that I would leave someone important out.

Lastly, there are 5 Friendships that I I think will last a lifetime.....all because I worked at Dell. The first three, Mandy, Danelle and Susanna, I met during my 4 years in Nashville. None of them work for Dell, however, if it weren't for my job taking me to Nashville, I wouldn't know them at all. These three girls were my family away from home for 4 years! I love them all so much and miss them dearly! The last two, Jenny and Heidii, both work at Dell. The last few years with Heidii and Jenny are some I'll never forget as we all got married within just a few months of each other, and then 2 years later, all had children within just 5 weeks of each other. We've walked beside each other during some of the biggest moments in our lives.....and I probably wouldn't know them at all would it not be for Dell.

So, all in all, I've had a great run, learned a ton, traveled a ton and fostered friendships that will last a lifetime. Not bad for 12 years. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I'm sure it's bittersweet, but so worth it! I am not going back to teaching next year either. Here's to stay at home moms!

    ReplyDelete