Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The First Sonogram...Twins!?! -- March 5, 2009

On March 5th, we went to the doctor together to check out our new little baby. During the sonogram, the doctor said, “There’s one sack…and there’s a second sack.” I didn’t figure what that meant quite as fast as Amy. I think someone needed to say the word “twins” before I figured it out. And even then, I think I thought, “Who’s having twins?”

The picture quality on the sonogram was way better than I expected. I clearly saw two babies. One of them clearly had big head and tiny little body. Then I saw that baby’s brain start beating in the middle of their head. At that moment, I realized that the beating brain was actually a heart and the baby didn’t look as much like a baby as I had initially thought. Moments after first seeing our new twins, we were able to hear both heartbeats. Both baby measured in at five millimeters and had heartbeats around 120 beats per minutes (both of which are normal).

The second the doctor left the room, Amy very sweetly yelled at me, “That is why I’ve been sleeping so much more than Jenny…I have two in there!!!” I responded with, “Did you know there were two in there?” thinking Amy might have had some sort of mother’s intuition. She quickly defended herself by saying, “How would I have known there were two?” For the record, I’m not entirely convinced—I think she somehow knew. :)

That night, we went to the Cheesecake Factory with Amy’s parents to tell them about the sonogram. Once again, they were prepared with a gift. (Amy could get used to that.) This time, we got a “silky”—aka, a small, soft baby blanket that is going to be very well loved and look disgusting after just a few years. Abbie had bought us a white one and a yellow one. Amy and I agreed that we were not a fan of the yellow one. We like white or pink/blue once we know the sex of the babies. (My gosh, “babies” is plural. We are having two babies at the same time.) When Amy said the word “twins,” Abbie let out a squeal. I think she was more excited when we told her we were having twins than she was when we told her Amy is pregnant. Gary quickly told us that they do not baby sit…well, at least not for free. We’re pretty sure he’s bluffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment