Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Telling My Mom and Sister -- March 13, 2009

Amy and I finally had a free weekend to head up to Dallas so we could tell the rest of the family. I made a small book on Shutterfly that we planned to use to break the news. It was a 5x7 book of pictures over the last few years of our life. The second to last page had Amy holding a sonogram. The last page had me holding two sonograms with a shocked look on my face.

On Friday night, we were meeting my mom and sister at Papasitto’s for dinner. We started talking about our anniversary from earlier in the week so I told them I made Amy this book. Angela was busy scarfing down chips and guacamole so she was going to look at the book later. My mom flipped through the book and eventually came to the last couple pages. She looked up with a shocked look on her face and didn’t say a word. Angela saw my mom do this and said “Is there a baby?” Before she was able to get the word “baby” out, there were large tears flowing down her face. After several minutes of crying, she composed herself enough to see the book. She then realized we were having twins. Again, the water works came out.

We told them we were only eight weeks along and were not telling people yet and they were going to need to keep it quite. They agreed. Two minutes later, my sister (who knows just about everyone) saw one of her friends at Papasitto’s and called him over. Her first words were, “I’m not suppose to tell you this, but my brother and his wife are pregnant. And they’re having twins.” That had to have been some sort of record for not keeping a secret.

My mom kept the shocked look on her face for most of the night. She kept saying, “I can’t believe you are having twins.” My sister continued crying off and on for most of the night. When we were leaving, she said she was worn out from the crying and needed to go home to rest and have a really good cry. Multiple people had predicted that Angela would have the biggest reaction to us being pregnant and she easily proved us right.

1 comment:

  1. Today at work, I had raspberry yogurt. I thought of y'all! Oh, and I cried. Again.

    ReplyDelete