Wednesday, May 26, 2010

BBQ in Lockhart

I love going to random BBQ joints. I'm probably a little bit of a BBQ snob (and definitely a BBQ sauce snob). Before the twins came, every time Amy and I went to Dallas, I would pick a random BBQ place to stop at. We tried a lot of good places. But since the twins arrived, we haven't done something like that.

That changed Saturday.

I've heard a lot about how good the BBQ is in Lockhart and I've wanted to go for years. I've even seen multiple Food Network and Travel Channel TV shows on places in Lockhart. I convinced Amy that we should make a short road trip to try it out. On Saturday, the four of us and our friends, the Markums, drove down to Lockhart for some good Texas BBQ.

Our main destination was Smitty's Market but we also stopped by Kreuz Market to try out a few things there. Smitty's is a little more "hole in the wall" but it is still a good size place. Kreuz is very large and more commercial feeling. We all ate a ton of BBQ and everything at both places was awesome. If I had to pick which place was the best, I think I'd have to say Smitty's. I loved their sausage and brisket.

Here we are posing in front of Smitty's.

And here we are with the meat. I promise we brought Caden inside. He just was on Amy's other side.
Our friend's, Matt and Alica.
After finishing off everything you saw above, we decided to try Kreuz. You can see that the place is much larger.
I hope going to some good BBQ places becomes more of a regular event. I'm thinking the next trip will be to Cooper's BBQ in Llano.

2 comments:

  1. Fun fun! And you should TOTALLY go to Cooper's in Llano. But honestly, I don't remember the meat … but the blackberry cobbler is TO DIE FOR!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooper's rocks (I recommend the brisket and pork chops) - and you should also head down to Luling to the Luling City Market. The other good place in Lockhart is Black's.

    Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete