Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Another BBQ Trip to Lockhart

I went on another BBQ trip this last Saturday. My friends, Matt and Russell, were unable to make it on the previous weekends trip so we decided to try again. Despite my kids being sick, my wonderful wife still let me go while she stayed home with the twins! I think it was very sweet of her and might even have made up for the fact that she threw away my leftovers from the previous weekend. :)

Once again, we made our way to to the Lockhart, the BBQ Mecca of Texas. This time, our main target was Black's.

It took us longer than it should have to get to Lockhart. We were in stand still traffic for about 45 minutes right by the airport. But we finally made it to Black's. (Note: Once again, I forgot my camera. I stole all of the pictures here from Russell.)
This was my first time to go to Black's. In the past, I had heard Black's was good but both Smitty's and Kreuz Market were the real places you should go in Lockhart. Even Matt said this after he went to Black's awhile back. Needless to say, my expectations were not very high. But even if I had the highest of expectations, Black's would have surpassed them! The BBQ was amazing!

First, they were very friendly when we walked in the door (which is not really the case at Smitty's or Kreuz). Here is the guy that served us showing off a two pound beef rib. I really wanted to purchase this but it would have been pretty expensive and I wanted to try multiple things. If Caroline was with me, I might have gotten it for the two of us to share. :)
I ordered brisket (the fatty version), jalapeno/cheese sausage, and spare ribs. The spare ribs were good but nothing special. They were a little too tough. The sausage was really good and rivaled the stuff served at Smitty's/Kreuz. Now, the brisket is what made the experience. Not to oversell, but this was easily the best brisket I have ever had in my life! It was amazing and I am drooling on the keyboard as I think about it now.

Matt said the food was way better this time than it was during his previous experience. I hope Matt's first experience was the aberration and not this awesome brisket. I hope they can reproduce this the next time I go.

Before I thought about it, all our food was gone. Otherwise, I would have taken a picture of it. So, this is all I got of the table at Black's.
After eating a ton of meat at Black's, I thought the appropriate thing to do was go eat a ton more meat at another BBQ place in Lockhart. Since I hit Smitty's the previous week, we went to Kreuz. Sadly, Kreuz did not have a good showing. Not only was it in the bad position of following the awesomeness we ate at Black's, but it just wasn't very good this time. They definitely had an off day.

Despite the disappointing Kreuz and the bad traffic, I declare the trip to be a huge success. Black's was amazing and I'll be dreaming about there brisket for weeks to come!

P.S. -- Russell also wrote about this trip here. Here are my two favorite lines from his post. (I figure, I stole his pictures, I might as well steel some of his words.)
Don't worry, no vegetables were harmed in the process of this trip.
Overall we had a good trip and needless to say we are full tonight (Well maybe Jason isn't).
P.S.S. -- In case anyone is wondering, this here is a really cool site Matt sent me that helps you find good BBQ places all over the country (but mostly in Texas)--Full Custom Gospel BBQ. I think I'm going to set a goal to try all of his 5 star locations.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me really hungry!

    You should check out this BBQ blog, too: http://manuptexasbbq.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete