Wednesday, February 2, 2011

BBQ in Lockhart, Candy, and Food Trailers

This weekend, Amy and I went back to Lockhart for some BBQ. We went to Smitty's market--one of the same places from the last time. The couple we went with last time were unable to make it but our friends, the Followays, came along.

Just like before, the food was awesome! I even ordered some extra so I could have some leftovers at home. But sadly, Amy committed an unforgivable offense. When I was throwing away the trash, Amy was throwing away my bag of leftover sausage and brisket! I watched her leave the table with the BBQ and then noticed it was gone when she came out of the bathroom. Amy didn't remember throwing it away but I know she did! Amy blames me...not that she thinks I threw it away or doesn't believe she did, but instead, she blames me for entrusting her with the BBQ. I guess I can trust her with our twins but not some Lockhart BBQ.

On the way home from Lockhart, we got to talking and decided to drive through South Congress and go to Big Top Candy. We had seen it on the Food Network and thought it would be fun to check out. Big Top Candy is an old fashioned soda parlor and candy store. They had soooo many random types of candy.

Across the street from Big Top, was a collection of food trailers. We decided to go check those out as well. A couple of the trailers were places Amy and I had already tried at the Gypsy Picnic. One place I didn't get to go to at the picnic but wanted to was Cutie Pie Wagon. They sell miniature pies. Everyone at the Gypsy Picnic said their buttermilk pie was amazing and I have recently come to realize how good buttermilk pies are. Of course, I had to get one of these and it was a pretty darn good pie. I ate my mini pie while waiting in line at the trailer next door--Hey Cupcake. :)

At Hey Cupcake, I asked the girl working which was her favorite cupcake. She looked at me, started to say something, and then said, "I'm sorry. I was about to lie but I just couldn't do that to you. I hate cupcakes and don't like any of the ones we sell." How about that for honesty! Despite her glowing recommendation, I went ahead and bought a double chocolate cupcake. It was good, but Amy makes better cupcakes.

That was our Saturday food adventure. I look forward to doing it again some time and next time, Amy isn't coming near any bag of leftovers. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love that candy shop! I went on a mini shopping spree there to make a candy bar for a friend's baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the food pictures? Are you foodspotting any if this?

    ReplyDelete