Monday, October 12, 2009

Our Two Week Checkup

We took the twins in for their two week checkup. Everything is going really well. Here are a few of the things that happend during this visit.

The doctor asked Amy and I if we are giving the kids plenty of tummy time. We said yes. Apparently, Amy and I didn't know what tummy time meant exactly. We thought it included laying on our chests facing us. However, tummy time needs to be on a hard surface like the floor. Our bodies made it too easy for them and would not encourage them to build muscles. When we learned this, both Amy and I were worried they would fail their tummy time test. Instead, they passed with flying colors. The doctor said both of them were "showing off" and she did not expect them to be able to push up and move their heads as well as they already do.

One of the things we were looking forward to was weighing the twins. At our first checkup, Caden weighed 5 lb 3 ounces (down from his 5 lb 10 ounce birth weight) and Caroline weighed 6 lb 6 ounces (down from her 7 lb birth weight). Our goal for this checkup was for both kids to weigh at least their birth weight. Amy and I were thrilled when Caden weighed in at 6 lb 4 ounce and Caroline topped the scales at 7 lb 10 ounces. Both weighed 10 ounces more than their birth weights!

After weighing Caden (completely naked to make sure it is exact), the nurse thanked him for not peeing everywhere and then told me I could put his diaper back on. The nurse, Amy, and Caroline then went back into the exam room while I started to put Caden's diaper on. Seconds before I was able to do so, Caden decided to see just how much stuff he could pee on. I think he must have been practicing his distance because he was able to spray a wide variety of stuff at different distances including the scale, a calculator, and several nearby office documents (not to mention his own head). On the bright side, daddy was standing outside the line of fire and and he didn't need to clean this mess up. :) Oh, and the doctor thought it was funny. I doubt she will be the one to clean it up either.

The best news at the visit (other than they are healthy, of course) was that we no longer need to wake them up at night for feedings! We are allowed to let them sleep as long as they like. The doctor expects them to be able to sleep for 4 to 5 hours! I hope that is right. We will find out tonight.

We head back to the doctor in two more weeks. Hopefully, that appointment will be as good as this one.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! Oh, and quit freaking me out with all your peeing stories!!! I think that must be a Daddy job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I could have witnessed that peeing escapade! You may have escaped this time Jason...but I am sure you won't be able to forever! So I had a dream about yall the other night. It was pretty funny. So when I woke up I said a prayer for yall to survive the craziness. I hope all is going well. It sounds like things are...yall are studs...twins are tough!

    ReplyDelete